Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April is Poetry Month

I started today off by reading a few of Billy Collins' latest poems in his new volume titled "Horoscopes for the Dead."

As always Billy spins words into melodies and puts a smile on the reader's face. Here is a good one for an early Spring morning. Enjoy.


A Question About Birds


I am going to sit on a rock near some water

or on a slope of grass

under a high ceiling of white clouds,


and I am going to stop talking

so I can wander around in that spot

the way John James Audubon might have wandered


through a forest of speckled sunlight,

stopping now and then to lean

against an elm, mop his brow,


and listen to the songs of birds.

Did he wonder, as I often do,

how they regard the songs of other species?


Would it be like listening to the Chinese

merchants at an outdoor market?

Or do all the birds perfectly understand one another?


Or is that nervous chittering

I often hear from the upper branches

the sound of some tireless little translator?


Mention our blog and we'll extend a 20% discount on any poetry in the month of April.

Happy Morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment